Wednesday, December 23, 2015

It's about the Journey



New Chapter: The New England Journey

This fall seemed to steam roll into focus quickly this year. Not that I was initially focused at all on racing CX or expected anything out my rebirth into skinny knobby tires on a race steed as light as my road bike but more nimble than my mountain bike. Actually, I hadn't really been thinking to hard about CX since I last raced the discipline with any integrity back in 2009. That was prior to studying for a Master Degree, moving across the country to Maine and our kids were just babies back then. 

I had been dabbling in long 100 mile mountain bike races and really at a cross roads (pun yes, not intended) over the past few seasons meanwhile searching for the balance in our family and business lives. Flash forward a few years and and through a lot of chaos we end up setting up shop and stabilizing in Maine. Here I find myself dreaming of my passion for the Tetons and missing friends made over what was my entire adult life up until now. 

However, the Portland area has led us to prosper for our family in ways that we really were searching for. Our kids are in great hands at a great school, our business is seeing proper growth and no matter how much pressure being a business owner is, it is very rewarding. Oh yeah the story about cycling. I found myself being wound thread by thread into a small community cycling scene here and ultimately on a road focused team with a bunch of hedonists with the same passion for two wheels as I have burning inside of me. This team, Downeast Racing and its exploits can be followed here:  www.facebook.com/downeastracing. I found a home with some like-minded souls looking to simply work hard and produce. I guess I find the focus and physical demands that training provides,  whether on a bike, on skis in the backcountry, scrambling scree up a peak or backwoods trail running with my kids is what provides the opportunity to disconnect from everything chaotic to simply be in the moment. Essentially it really doesn't matter where, what matters is who you’re with and what you choose to do with your time that provides the sustenance of life. 

Getting side tracked again with the philosophy, or is it really all intertwined and part of the journey as much as the journey of the sport of cycling. I have realized that what it really is about is the journey and not the destination. Much like the holidays that are upon us. As children we cannot wait until Christmas morning right, but really what makes Christmas the bees knees is the buildup of getting to Christmas. You know the stuff like picking out and fetching the tree in the woods, hauling  it home, standing it up and all together sighing "aaw" its perfect. Putting the lights up and creating a festive atmosphere in your home. Sharing with friends, neighbors and family. Going to the Christmas party and playing the dreaded white elephant gift game, only to realize that was fun. 

You see it's really all about the Journey, not the destination.

So here's to wishing all of you a very happy Journey through 2016. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment